[Distutils] Deprecating little used file types/extensions on PyPI?

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 09:39:55 EDT 2016

Targz is about 3/4 the size of zip for a bag of Python dists I tested. Zip
inside a second zip would provide the same compression. No word on the
Weissman score.

Tar isn't exactly a single format. For Unicode try POSIX-1.2001 aka pax
format tar. Python defaults to gnutar. Zip has good Unicode support.

Exactly how much simpler is exactly one file format?