[Distutils] What role to eggs still play?

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 13:25:26 EDT 2016

Eggs are the only way to add a zipped distribution to PYTHONPATH and have
setuptools find the metadata (the Python code can be found with or without
the metadata; setuptools does not discover *.dist-info inside zip). Eggs
are used by buildout, especially in the unzipped into a directory form. And
they could still be used for their originally designed use as a plugin
format.

One of the smaller problems with eggs is that everything had the same name.
*.egg-info or EGG-INFO is the predecessor of the *.dist-info format
designed in PEP-376. You get *.egg-info whenever you install something with
setuptools without going through bdist_wheel.