[Distutils] Deprecating little used file types/extensions on PyPI?

tritium-list at sdamon.com tritium-list at sdamon.com
Fri Aug 19 01:32:02 EDT 2016

PyPI?

> I wasn't suggesting the state would be invisible, more something akin
> to the PEP 438 settings:
>
> - existing projects with no legacy formats uploaded get "No legacy
> formats" flagged
> - existing projects with legacy formats uploaded get "Legacy formats"
flagged
> - existing maintainers with projects in the second category get a "Can
> enable legacy formats" flag
>
> By default, new projects would have the "No legacy formats" flag
> (regardless of who created them), but existing maintainers with the
> "Can enable legacy formats" marker would be able to change that. Once
> a maintainer flipped the setting for a given project, then anyone
> maintaining that project could upload the legacy formats, but wouldn't
> automatically gain the ability to change the setting on other
> projects.
>
> This approach would mean we could be fairly aggressive in pushing
> *new* users towards the newer formats (since there'd be a sharp
> historical line beyond which new accounts simply can't enable the
> legacy formats for their projects), *without* breaking the workflows
> of existing projects and maintainers (at least, not yet).
>
> Alternatively, we could simply not worry about a user level flag, and
> just have a project level flag that's set to "No legacy formats" by
> default for new projects - new users won't have any incentive to
> change it, while existing users can change it (at least for the time
> being) if that suits their workflow.

Well... what if I am a new user, opening a new project to work with legacy
systems?  How is it fair to me that I didn't get to the game in time to have
my files accepted and the old-timers get to have theirs accepted?  If we
shut it off for everyone, its fair.  If we let anyone turn it back on, its
fair.  I think this is exemplary of a trend on this sig - there is a
contingent that wants to assume things about the intent of project
maintainers, and I think that's the wrong thing to do.

If we want to trim the acceptable formats for distribution to make pypi et.
al. easier to maintain, then that's fine.  Do it.  Or don't do it.  Don't
selectively do it.