[Distutils] wheel including files it shouldn't

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed Apr 27 13:52:37 EDT 2016

This isn't really a problem with what you're doing. Rather it's an issue with
the toolchain and and open question whether or not wheels should conceptually
be able to be produced from a checkout, or if they should only be produced
from a sdist. Problems like this are why I advocate the Checkout -> sdist
-> wheel being the only path, but others feel differently.

— Donald Stufft

On Apr 27 2016, at 1:38 pm, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> On 04/26/2016 07:10 AM, Donald Stufft wrote:

> > Alternatively, he could have just produced a wheel from any checkout at
> all if the MANIFEST.in excluded a file that would otherwise have been
> installed.

> Yes. My MANIFEST.in starts with an 'exclude enum/*' and then includes
all files it wants.

> > This sort of thing is why I'm an advocate that we should only
> build sdists from checkouts, and wheels from sdists (at the low level
> anyways, even if the UI allows people to appear to create a wheel
> straight from a checkout).

> My current process is:

>    python3.5 setup.py sdist --format=gztar,zip bdist_wheel upload

> What should I be doing instead?

> \--
~Ethan~

Distutils-SIG maillist - Distutils-SIG at python.org