[Distutils] The mypy package

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Apr 18 16:54:31 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 9:41 AM, David Wilson <dw+distutils-sig at hmmz.org>
wrote:

> > huh? as far as I can tell, namespaces greatly expand the pool of
> available
> > names, but other than that, we've got the same problem.
>
> They seem to have worked well enough from the 1980s through to the 3.5bn
> or so Internet users we have today.

but people don't get domain names in perpetuity without maintaining them --
not the same thing.

And the problem at hand is that the mypy folks don't to use a different
name, and it would better serve the community if an abandoned name could be
used by a more useful, productive package.

BTW -- as of the security issue -- isn't it the name with domain names?

Someone puts up a website with something at least a little useful on it.

They abandon the domain

A malicious individual puts up up new site with that name that is a clone
of the old one except that it distributed Malware.

I agree that it would be a bit easier to do with PyPi, as it does
specifically distribute software, but the risk is there in any case.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov