[Distutils] The mypy package

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Apr 18 11:18:37 EDT 2016

> Though I do wonder how effective that would be in this case.  For all we know, in the case of mypy, the maintainer is simply ignoring someone else who is trying to take the name they registered.  (I get emails all the time for people trying to get me to sign over my domain names;

Domain names are a different system -- you need to maintain your registration.

PyPi names, on the other hand, are all too easy to setup, and then
completely ignore, maybe even forget you used it.

We really should have SOME way to determine if a PyPi name has been
abandoned. Or even be proactive--PyPi names must be maintained in SOME
way, perhaps:

Push a change or update at least once a year (or some other interval).

Or

Respond to some sort of "do you still want this" email. At least once a year.

If neither of these occurs, then we could have a deprecation period.

Details aside, as PyPi continues to grow, we really need a way to
clear out the abandoned stuff -- the barrier to entry for creating a
new name on PyPi is just too low.

This is all too late for MyPy, but it has certainly come up before,
and will again, more and more.

-CHB