[Distutils] README.rst vs DESCRIPTION.rst

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 29 18:29:19 CEST 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 11:19 AM, Matthew Iversen <matt at notevencode.com>
wrote:

> For example, the two are different for flask, virtualenv, setuptools,
> sopel, numpy

these are some pretty significant, complex packages.

I have trouble finding an objective reasoning that one method is to be
> objectively preferred over the other.

No one is suggesting reducing flexibility here. The topic under discussion
is what should be recommended and demonstrated for newbies, and the
simplest reasonable thing to do there the better - one Readme.rst seems the
obvious answer for that.

We always want to balance this with keeping `sampleproject` as simple as
> possible to make it practical and
> immediately useful, rather than overly technical.

Exactly.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov