[Distutils] README.rst vs DESCRIPTION.rst

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Sep 28 17:18:56 CEST 2015

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 27, 2015, at 11:19 AM, Ionel Cristian Mărieș <contact at ionelmc.ro>
wrote:

On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 8:05 PM, Thomas Güttler <guettliml at thomas-guettler.
<guettliml at thomas-guettler.de>
​I don't think there can be a "definitive guide line"​. Unlike the core
language the packaging part of Python is a messy soup of different and
often competing ideas, styles and tools.

Which is EXACTLY why there should be one set of best-practices
recommendations that are the same in all the "official" docs.

I think one Readme.rst is the way to go.

If you want to provide contribution guidelines, etc. they should be in a
separate locations, referenced by the Readme.

-Chris

So you cannot have an definitive or objective guide for something that's
subjective in nature.

About the README vs DESCRIPTION - ask yourself, what would you use README
for then? I believe that's absolutely nothing. You only need one. :-)

Thanks,
-- Ionel Cristian Mărieș, http://blog.ionelmc.ro

Distutils-SIG maillist  -  Distutils-SIG at python.org