[Distutils] Working toward Linux wheel support

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Sep 7 01:42:46 CEST 2015

Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> writes:

> On 7 September 2015 at 02:09, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:
> > For example, down the road when there's Wheel 2.0, what's the "Current
> > Specs" for wheel?
>
> Yes, but I think that's easy enough to handle by having a default URL
> that always goes to the latest version of the spec, and moving
> previous versions to URLs that include the version number.

<modification severity="bikeshed">
Or consistently publish each spec version to a predictable URL with the
version number, and have the default URL *redirect* to whatever is the
current-versioned spec.
</modification>

That way, the URL works as people expect, *and* the resulting
destination gives a URL that (when inevitably copy-and-pasted) will
retain its meaning over time.

--
 \       Moriarty: “Forty thousand million billion dollars? That money |
  `\            must be worth a fortune!” —The Goon Show, _The Sale of |