[Distutils] Reviving PEP 470 - Removing External Hosting support on PyPI

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 09:55:24 CEST 2015

On 1 September 2015 at 07:26, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:
> Looking at the download url that PyPI points to:
>
>    http://www.pygame.org/download.shtml
>
> then I get the impression that this page was designed to be read by
> humans only, and if pip/easy_install ever do anything useful with it
> then it's by pure luck only. The whole page is about how you should go
> about choosing and obtaining the correct platform-specific binary
> package.

There are a number of pygame issues open about packaging:

https://bitbucket.org/pygame/pygame/issues/59/pygame-has-no-pypi-page-and-cant-be
is a general "get the pypi page working" one,
https://bitbucket.org/pygame/pygame/issues/222/wheel-format-for-pip-and-pypi
for providing wheels,
https://bitbucket.org/pygame/pygame/issues/223/new-version-scheme-to-match-pep-0440
for PEP 440 versioning,
https://bitbucket.org/pygame/pygame/issues/224/fix-usage-of-raw_input-in-setuppy
fix interactive prompting from setup.py,

and I've just added one asking them to host on PyPI:
https://bitbucket.org/pygame/pygame/issues/276/host-release-files-on-pypi

They seem to be discussing the various packaging issues, so with luck
they will put something in place for the next release, whenever that
occurs.

Paul