[Distutils] Reviving PEP 470 - Removing External Hosting support on PyPI

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 06:15:53 CEST 2015

On 1 September 2015 at 05:53, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> The top packages look a bit different than it did 10 months ago, surprisingly
> to me PIL has severely dropped off from where it had ~63k 10 months ago and it
> now has 5.5k, however pygame has risen from 2.6k 10 months ago to ~32k.

I can provide plausible explanations for both of those:

* Pillow adoption progressively displacing PIL usage
* Pygame Zero lowering barriers to entry for PyGame usage in education

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. If folks haven't seen PyGame Zero, it's a pretty neat concept:
https://pygame-zero.readthedocs.org/en/latest/