[Distutils] A smaller step towards de-specializing setuptools/distutils

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Oct 29 17:03:34 EDT 2015

On October 29, 2015 at 5:01:32 PM, Marcus Smith (qwcode at gmail.com) wrote:

> > * This essentially doesn't solve any of the dynamic vs static metadata
> > issues
> >

> Nathaniel's grand plan requires dynamic run-time dependencies, so to be
> clear, this plan doesn't help the case that instigated most of the recent
> discussion, right?

It should still solve that problem because it allows a project to dynamically decide what dependencies they have (just like they can today) when they create the Wheel (but the Wheel itself must have static dependencies). I believe that still handles the case that Nathaniel needed solved. It just doesn’t solve our (pip/PyPI) desires to have static (or more static) metadata.