[Distutils] Where should I put tests when packaging python modules?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Oct 7 21:04:26 CEST 2015

On Oct 07, 2015, at 08:18 AM, Donald Stufft wrote:

>tox and setup.py test are not really equivalent. There’s no way (to my
>knowledge) to test the item outside of a virtual environment. This is
>important for downstreams who want to test that the package build and the
>tests successfully are executed in their environment, not within some virtual
>environment.

I usually do not use tox to test a package when building it for Debian.  It's
pretty easy to extract the actual command used to run the test suit from the
tox.ini and that's what I put in the debian/rules file.  It can make things
build a little more reliably, but also eliminates a build dependency on tox.

Cheers,
-Barry