[Distutils] Where should I put tests when packaging python modules?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Oct 6 23:54:37 CEST 2015

Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> writes:

> I'm a big fan of putting the tests inside the package. I've often
> looked at a package's tests to get a better understanding of something
> that was unclear for the documentation, or didn't work the way I
> expected. Having the tests there in the installed package makes it
> easier to refer to.

That doesn't follow, or I'm not understanding you.

If you have the tests in the source package, as is being advocated, you
have the tests available for reference. So the *relative location* of
the tests, within that source tree, doesn't argue for what you're
saying.

Are you arguing the separate point of whether tests should be
*installed* with the package?

--
 \         “We now have access to so much information that we can find |
  `\  support for any prejudice or opinion.” —David Suzuki, 2008-06-27 |