[Distutils] FINAL DRAFT: Dependency specifier PEP

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 14:40:54 EST 2015

> > Will "direct references" ever be well-defined? or open to whatever any
> tool
> > decides can be an artifact reference?
>
> We can define the syntax without capturing all the tool support, which
> is what PEP-440 and thus this PEP does.

so, to be clear, what syntax for the URI portion does it define or require?
 (beyond it just being a valid URI)

it sounds like you're saying nothing?  i.e. although PEP440 says things
like it "may" be a sdist or a wheel target or a "source_url", its wide open
to whatever a tool may decide is a unique artifact reference?