[Distutils] The future of invoking pip

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Nov 11 14:17:01 EST 2015

On 12 November 2015 at 03:48, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> Right. I think PEP 426 fell into the same trap that distutils2 fell into. It attempted to boil the ocean in one step and the longer it went on the more aspirational stuff got layered onto it because it was being held up as the great hope for packaging.

>From my blog post:
https://rbtcollins.wordpress.com/2015/08/04/the-merits-of-careful-impatience/

"""
So here is how I think we should deliver things instead:

1. Design the change with specific care that it fails closed and is opt-in.
2. Implement the change(s) needed, in a new minor version of the tools.
3. Tell users they can use it.
"""

-Rob

--