[Distutils] [Numpy-discussion] Proposal: stop supporting 'setup.py install'; start requiring 'pip install .' instead

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 07:00:05 EST 2015

On Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 12:38 AM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> On November 7, 2015 at 6:16:34 PM, Donald Stufft (donald at stufft.io) wrote:
> > > I want to reduce the “paths” that an installation can go down.
>
> I decided I’d make a little visual aid to help explain what I mean here
> (omitting development/editable installs because they are weird and will
> always be weird)!
>
> Here’s essentially the way that installs can happen right now
> https://caremad.io/s/Ol1TuV6R9K/. Each of these types of installations
> act subtly different in ways that are not very obvious to most people.
>
> Here’s what I want it to be: https://caremad.io/s/uJYeVzBlQG/. In this
> way no matter what a user is installing from (Wheel, Source Dist,
> Directory) the outcome will be the same and there won’t be subtly different
> behaviors based on what is being provided.

Thanks, clear figures. Your final situation is definitely way better than
what it's now. Here is what I proposed in a picture:
https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/3219#issuecomment-154810578

Comparison:
   - same number of arrows in flowchart
   - total path length in my proposal is 1 shorter
   - my proposal requires one less build system interface to be specified
(sdist)

Ralf