[Distutils] New PEP : dependency specification

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Fri Nov 6 13:46:17 EST 2015

On 7 November 2015 at 07:42, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:

>> No - it specifies the serialisation format for
>> names/specifiers/extras/markers that is in common use, but doesn't
>> specify a programming API. It is intended as an interop building
>> block,
>

> I'm not not talking about programming API.
> this PEP would set the format used in interop formats, as you say, but also
> doesn't it effectively standardize the format used in the pip UI?
> or maybe it's just that pip could easily say..  "our syntax for dependencies
> mirrors PEPXX exactly"

Yes, I think that would be a sane thing for pip to say. E.g. the full
description would be something like "Requirements files are a
super-set of PEPXX. You can also include command line options from the
pip CLI. Options on a line on their own are globally applies. Options
on a specification line apply to that specification alone. Empty and
comment-only lines are supported."

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>