[Distutils] [Numpy-discussion] Proposal: stop supporting 'setup.py install'; start requiring 'pip install .' instead

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 02:39:14 EST 2015

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 12:37 AM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> If ``pip install —build … —no-clean …`` worked to do incremental builds,
> would that satisfy this use case? (without the —upgrade and —no-deps,
> —no-deps is only needed because —upgrade and —upgrade is needed because of
> another ticket that I think will get fixed at some point).

Then there's at least a way to do it, but it's all very unsatisfying. Users
are again going to have a hard time finding this. And I'd hate to have to
type that every time.

Robert and Nathaniel have argued the main points already so I'm not going
to try to go in more detail, but I think the main point is:

  - we want to replace `python setup.py install` with `pip install .` in
order to get proper uninstalls and dependency handling.
  - except for those two things, `python setup.py install` does the
expected thing while pip is trying to be way too clever which is unhelpful.

Ralf