[Distutils] The future of invoking pip

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Nov 5 17:05:22 EST 2015

On Nov 05, 2015, at 04:08 PM, Donald Stufft wrote:

>One benefit of the third option is that we can remove the need to directly
>copy the bundled libraries into the pip source code and we can install just
>bundle it inside the built zip file.

This shouldn't be a problem from Debian's p.o.v. if we can adjust how packages
end up in the zip file.  If for example the zip contains wheels, and we finish
the dirtbike (or similiar) project to rewheel distro packages, we'd use those
pip-build-time generated wheels in the zip and be all good.  Of course, we'd
probably have to rebuild pip when we change any of those dependencies, but I
think that's tractable.

I think the proposed solution is a better user experience that either of
pipX.Y or `pythonX.Y -m pip`, so I'm glad you're experimenting with this
approach.

Cheers,
-Barry