[Distutils] A smaller step towards de-specializing setuptools/distutils

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sun Nov 1 20:21:16 EST 2015

On November 1, 2015 at 6:45:16 PM, Nick Coghlan (ncoghlan at gmail.com) wrote:
> > However, I also think there's one refinement we can make that
> lets us
> drop the need for a copy-and-paste "setup.py", *without* needing
> define a programmatic build system API: let setup.cfg define
> a module
> name to invoke with "python -m " instead of running
> "setup.py”.

I think we should wait on this. We can always add it later, we can’t (easily) remove it. Defining the ``setup.py`` interface like I did for the /simple/ interface has benefits even completely removed from the goal of supporting alternative build systems. Once we get the details sorted out for how it affects the world of packaging to sanely allow alternative build systems, then we can figure out what it would look like to allow invocation without a setup.py script.

Defining a brand new interface is a lot harder than defining the existing interface.