[Distutils] Can't install google-api-python-client using pip

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Wed May 6 02:57:51 CEST 2015

On Tue, May 5, 2015 at 3:01 PM, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:

> Based on the messages, my guess is that you are not using the most
> recent version of pip and/or you may be trying to use it with an older
> version of OpenSSL.  Try upgrading to the latest pip; you may find that
> the download works or that you'll get a more meaningful message.

Well, that's not working either:

% pip-2.7 install --upgrade pip
Cannot fetch index base URL http://pypi.python.org/simple/
Could not find any downloads that satisfy the requirement pip in
/Users/skip/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages
Downloading/unpacking pip
No distributions at all found for pip in
/Users/skip/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages
Storing complete log in /Users/skip/.pip/pip.log

And then I had the bright idea to see if ensurepip was available:

% python
Python 2.7.9+ (2.7:94ec4d8cf104, Jan 24 2015, 14:56:50)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 6.0 (clang-600.0.56)] on darwin

% python -m ensurepip
Ignoring ensurepip failure: pip 6.0.6 requires SSL/TLS

which would explain what's wrong. I'll have to see why SSL/TLS is unavailable.

Skip