[Distutils] it's happened - wheels without sdists (flit)

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Mar 30 17:56:57 CEST 2015

> On Mar 30, 2015, at 11:52 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 30 March 2015 at 16:45, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> Well, parts of it are turing complete, since it pulls the version number
>> out of the module itself and that’s just Python too.
>
> Sorry, I wasn't specifically looking at flit there. But I'm in the
> camp that says just put the version in your ini file and in your
> module, and don't worry that you have it in 2 places. If managing
> version numbers is the biggest showstopper in moving to declarative
> metadata, then we've won :-)
>
> Paul

Honestly, I don’t think that setup.py as a development interface is that
bad. It gets really bad when we start sticking it inside of a sdist and
using that as part of the installation metadata.

It’s not unusual for me to want (or need) to do something a little bit
different in a project, or something that the original authors didn’t
quite intend to do. This is perfectly valid and fine inside of a file
that only ever gets executed on a developer machine. However it *needs*
to be “compiled” down to a static file when creating a sdist.

---
Donald Stufft