[Distutils] it's happened - wheels without sdists (flit)

Ionel Cristian Mărieș contact at ionelmc.ro
Mon Mar 30 17:23:42 CEST 2015

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 6:05 PM, Ian Cordasco <graffatcolmingov at gmail.com>
wrote:

> In other words, no one should read the docs because that's a waste of
> time? Because a lot of time has been poured into the packaging docs and if
> they're not sufficient, then instead of improving them, people should write
> undocumented tools that force people to read the source? I'm not sure how
> that's better than what we already have.

​A waste of time? No. But it sure is poor investment of time for newbie
users. It's a futile struggle to document (or read about) all the features
of distutils and setuptools, not because it can't be documented, but
because there's too much ground to cover and PyPA's packaging.python.org
approach is to ​just give an overview of what's available and avoid giving
any real best practice recommendations as much as possible. There may be
good reasons for that but that's not a sensible approach to giving users a
"pitfall free" learning path.

Thanks,
-- Ionel Cristian Mărieș, http://blog.ionelmc.ro