[Distutils] setup_requires for dev environments

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 08:36:10 CET 2015

On 16 March 2015 at 11:05, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> PEP 426 addresses build requirements for distributions of Python code,
> but doesn't directly help with development environments.

It's supposed to, but updating the relevant section of the PEP has
been lingering on my todo list for a while now. Short version is that
you'll be able to do "pip install package[-:self:]" in order to get
all the build, dev and runtime dependencies without installing the
package itself. It hasn't been a priority since PEP 440 was the focus
of the last pip/setuptools release, and Warehouse & TUF have been
higher priority since then.

So I agree it would be worthwhile to figure out an interim
improvement, but don't have a strong opinion on what that should look
like.

Cheers,
Nick.