[Distutils] Idea: allow PyPI projects to link to DockerHub container images

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 08:30:14 CET 2015

On 2 February 2015 at 03:04, Marcus Smith <qwcode at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I agree that from an implementation perspective, this could just be a
>> new recommended URL in the project URLs metadata (e.g. "Reference
>> Container Images"). If folks don't think the idea sounds horrible,
>> I'll make that update to the PEP 459 draft.
>

> wouldn't this just be a use case for a custom "Metadata Extension", and not
> something new to put into PEP459?
> I'm just imagining you won't cover everything that might be needed for
> automation down the road, and it will end up being an unused field in a few
> years.

Yeah, that actually occurred to me this morning - nothing to change on
the metadata front for now, experiment with metadata extensions once
we get 426 out the door (I think the Warehouse migration and the PEP
458 package signing proposal are higher priority near term, with
finalising 426 next on the todo list after that).

As a possible interim approach to improving the situation, what do you
think of my writing up a "Binary distribution for Linux" advanced
topic? That could cover not only containers, but also the technique of
"bundle a /opt virtualenv in a platform binary package" as well as
actually creating native system packages (with varying degrees of
distro policy compliance). Scientific Python users & publishers could
also be nudged in the direction of the conda/binstar.org ecosystem.

Cheers,
Nick.