[Distutils] Reviving PEP 470 - Removing External Hosting support on PyPI

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 15:33:34 CEST 2015

On 31 August 2015 at 11:59, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:
> Sure. My knowledge of rpm is 20 years out of date, so I am going to focus
> the deb/dpkg/apt world only. The whole packaging system is build around
> archives. The packaging tools themselves do not have anything hardcoded
> there, they pick up the archive from a configuration file
> (/etc/apt/sources.list). That file lists all archives.
[... Useful explanation omitted...]

Thanks, that was very helpful. From that I understand that the key
differences are:

1. deb doesn't have a hard-coded "official" repository, everything is
in the config files.
2. There are tools to manage the config, rather than editing the
config files by hand.
3. There is pluggable support for archive and URL types.

In the context of the PEP I don't think these are significant
differences, so it seems to me that the PyPI solution proposed in the
PEP matches pretty closely to the deb approach. Which is what I
thought, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

Thanks,
Paul