[Distutils] Working toward Linux wheel support

Nate Coraor nate at bx.psu.edu
Mon Aug 24 17:03:11 CEST 2015

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 2:51 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 August 2015 at 05:58, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>
> wrote:
> > On 21 August 2015 at 07:25, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> tag,
> >>>

> >> It’s less about “now let me install Debian 5” and more like tooling
> that doesn’t run *on* the platform but which needs to make decisions based
> on what platform a wheel is built for.
> >
> > Cramming that into the file name is a mistake IMO.
> >
> > Make it declarative data, make it indexable, and index it. We can do
> > that locally as much as via the REST API.
> >
> > That btw is why the draft for referencing external dependencies
> > specifies file names (because file names give an ABI in the context of
> > a platform) - but we do need to identify the platform, and
> > platform.distribution should be good enough for that (or perhaps we
> > start depending on lsb-release for detection
>
> LSB has too much stuff in it, so most distros aren't LSB compliant out
> of the box - you have to install extra packages.
>
> /etc/os-release is a better option:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/os-release.html

As per this discussion, and because I've discovered that the entire
platform module is deprecated in 3.5 (and other amusements, like a
Ubuntu-modified version of platform that ships on Ubuntu - platform as
shipped with CPython detects Ubuntu as debian), I'm switching to
os-release, but even that is unreliable - the file does not exist in
CentOS/RHEL 6, for example. On Debian testing/sid installs, VERSION and
VERSION_ID are unset (which is not wrong - there is no release of testing,
but it does make identifying the platform more complicated since even the
codename is not provided other than at the end of PRETTY_NAME). Regardless
of whether a hash or a human-identifiable string is used to identify the
platform, there still needs to be a way to reliably detect it.

Unless someone tells me not to, I'm going to default to using os-release
and then fall back to other methods in the event that os-release isn't
available, and this will be in some sort of library alongside pep425tags in
wheel/pip.

FWIW, os-release's `ID_LIKE` gives us some ability to make assumptions
without explicit need for a binary-compatibility.cfg (although not blindly
- for example, CentOS sets this to "rhel fedora", but of course RHEL/CentOS
and Fedora versions are not congruent).

--nate