[Distutils] elements of setuptools/wheel/FHS file categories proposal

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Apr 20 20:07:24 CEST 2015

From: Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com>

> pkg_resources without declaring that dependency. That is why I
> proposed writing the install paths to an importable file in the
> package's namespace on request without a new API. This would also

Not sure what you mean by this, but I hope by "importable" you don't mean Python source. JSON sounds like a better option. We currently write all the installed files as a simple text file (RECORD), but there's no reason it couldn't be a JSON file which held the mappings of category -> path used during installation, as well as the list of files installed. When you say "package's namespace", are you referring to the .dist-info directory, or something else? Those two words are fraught with ambiguity.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip