[Distutils] elements of setuptools/wheel/FHS file categories proposal

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 16:07:43 CEST 2015

On 20 April 2015 at 14:31, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is just one example of a potentially useful setup that would be
> helped by per-distribution { category : path } mappings. That doesn't
> mean there is not another that you might like better.

OK, understood. Thanks for the explanation. I'm still uncertain over
one thing, though. Who (in your view) is expected to be changing the
defaults as part of an install? If doing so is viewed as an "advanced
feature targeted at creators of distribution packages - i.e. people
creating RPM/deb/MSI build scripts", then I'm fine with that, 99% of
pip users won't ever see, need, or even be aware of the feature. The
1% of people who need the feature can deal with it.

That's why I'm insistent on having good defaults - it's all that 99%
of users will ever deal with. The 1% who customise things, will know
what they are doing.
Paul