[Distutils] Wheels and dependent third party dlls on windows

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 17:03:58 CEST 2014

On 30 September 2014 15:45, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Or you could just create a Python package that only contains the dll,
> and depend on it from your others.

The problem is getting the DLL on PATH.

What you could do is distribute a package containing:

1. The dll
2. An __init__.py that adds the package directory (where the DLL is)
to os.environ['PATH'].

If you import this package before any of the ones that depend on the
DLL (or even in the __init__ of those packages) then you should have
PATH set up correctly, and things will work as you need.

I think this works, although I will admit it feels like a bit of a hack to me.
Paul