[Distutils] Immutable Files on PyPI

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 23:36:48 CEST 2014

On 29 Sep 2014 22:09, "Wichert Akkerman" <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:

> On 29 Sep 2014, at 13:58, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Right, this is my perspective as well. The point that the wheel format
already includes a build ordering field was significant because that file
naming scheme has an official specification.

>> Other commands like bdist_egg, bdist_dumb and bdist_wininst aren't as
strict about the expected file names, although it would be good to define a
suggested optional build numbering convention at least for bdist_egg, such
that easy_install will do the right thing, even if the full source level
version number isn't bumped.

> This is just as relevant for sdists as well. It is quite common to see a
broken release due to a missing or wrong MANIFEST.in.

As Donald noted, if the source package contents change, the public version
should really change, with all binary artefacts being updated accordingly.

I didn't make that clear though - it was an unstated assumption.

Cheers,
Nick.