[Distutils] Immutable Files on PyPI

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 11:02:34 CEST 2014

On 29 September 2014 09:46, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> If I understand you correctly, you are essentially suggesting that it
> becomes impossible to ever delete anything uploaded to PyPI, i.e.
> turning PyPI into a WORM.

My understanding (I'm sure Donald will correct me if I'm wrong) is
that it will still be possible to delete files. What will *not* be
possible will be to later upload a replacement for a deleted file
which contains different content.

>From a user perspective this means that it's possible for a release to
be withdrawn, but replacements will always be new versions, and if I
download a particular version, what I get won't depend on when I do
the download. This seems like a good thing to me.

Paul