[Distutils] Immutable Files on PyPI

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 00:51:12 CEST 2014

On 29 Sep 2014 07:37, "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> wrote:

> -1.
>
> It does happen that files need to be reuploaded because of a bug
> in the release process and how people manage their code is really
> *their* business, not that of PyPI.
>
> FWIW, I am getting increasingly annoyed how PyPI and pip try to dictate
> the way package authors are supposed to build, manage and host their
> Python packages and release process. Can we please stop this ?

As others have noted, these changes represent the PyPA being opinionated on
behalf of the user community, to provide the best possible user experience
for the overall Python ecosystem.

We'll accommodate the existing publisher community as far as is feasible
(that's why PEP 440 is as complicated as it is, for example), but there are
going to be times where improving the end user experience means adding new
constraints on publishers.

External hosting (using PyPI as an index, without also using it for release
file hosting) is the primary "escape clause" for software publishers that
prefer to do things differently from the way PyPI does them. That's a user
experience we'll also continue to work to improve, to ensure it is clear
that it's a fully supported part of the distribution model.

Regards,
Nick.