[Distutils] Metadata 2.0: Is there a formal spec for a requirement?

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 16 19:10:49 CEST 2014

From: Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com>

> PS This isn't about pressuring anyone to write such modules. If they
> don't exist and are needed, I'm more than willing to help write them,
> but only if they are intended as reference implementations, not just
> as "yet another version module". I've no particular wish to set myself
> up as a competitor to setuptools and distlib :-)

Well, the distlib implementation is intended to be faithful to the PEPs, and to act as a reference implementation in the absence of anything better. Some parts of distlib (including the version functionality) were blessed by python-dev to the extent that they were expected to be part of Python 3.3 (in the packaging package), though I've changed the implementation considerably, both to allow conformance with setuptools formats and to implement functionality developed in newer PEPs such as 426, 427, and 440.

Is there some particular functionality you need that distlib.version doesn't provide?

Regards,

Vinay Sajip