[Distutils] buildout 2.2.3: not completely right?

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Fri Oct 31 12:38:14 CET 2014

Hi,

Since buildout 2.2.3 is out, I've been getting mails out of quite some
jenkins jobs.

Those jobs always run "python bootstrap.py" followed by "bin/buildout".
We always pin buildout, so most of them are at version 2.2.1

$ python bootstrap.py
Setting socket time out to 1 seconds.
Generated script
'<http://jenkins.3di.lizard.net/job/python-subgrid/ws/bin/buildout'.>
$ bin/buildout
Setting socket time out to 1 seconds.
While:
   Installing.
Error: There is a version conflict.
We already have: zc.buildout 2.2.3

"python bootstrap.py" generates a bin/buildout with a 2.2.3 version in
it. And running bin/buildout doesn't want to downgrade to the specified
version 2.2.1.

The bootstrap.py I'm using is
http://downloads.buildout.org/2/bootstrap.py

I've seen some other problems with versions when there's a globally
installed version already available at a higher version. A colleague
installed ansible globally on the jenkins machine (...) so there's a new
jinja2 in usr/local/lib/pythonsomething. The jinja2 in buildout is
pinned to a lower version, but buildout refuses to downgrade it and
fails with an "I already have that new version".

So... I haven't totally tracked it down yet, but I'm throwing it out on
the list here in case others have seen it too.
I'll continue debugging after lunch :-)

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                          http://reinout.vanrees.org/