[Distutils] PEP 470, round 4 - Using Multi Repository Support for External to PyPI Package File Hosting

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Oct 7 12:40:02 CEST 2014

FWIW: I support Holger's request to introduce multi repository
support *without* breaking existing setups.

Simply add the possibility for authors to register external indexes,
have pip, setuptools, et al. crawl these in addition to what's
up on the PyPI package page (using the logic that has existed in
these tools for years) and then let the author decide whether they
want to remove existing downloads from PyPI or not.

This allows for older installations to continue working, while
also (optionally) supporting a setup which does not use PyPI for
hosting at all.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com