[Distutils] Requesting PyPI classifiers for Sphinx

Richard Jones richard at python.org
Wed Nov 26 23:18:35 CET 2014

On Thu Nov 27 2014 at 9:08:40 AM Donaldo Fastoso <donquestion at rocketmail.com>
wrote:

> Somewhat OT,
>
> but i was wondering if there is documentation helping to choose
> the right classifiers if the choice is not obvious.
>
> For example i find the "Development Status" classifiers somewhat
> "quirky": 3 classifiers for alpha-releases:
>
>         Development Status :: 1 - Planning
>         Development Status :: 2 - Pre-Alpha
>         Development Status :: 3 - Alpha
>
> but no "release candidate"

I'm not sure that's a level of granularity that the cheese shop really
needs. Release candidates can be tagged "beta".

>         Development Status :: 4 - Beta
>         Development Status :: 5 - Production/Stable
>
> and similar to the alphas a somewhat murky distinction between the
> stables:
>
>         Development Status :: 5 - Production/Stable
>         Development Status :: 6 - Mature

That is a somewhat murky distinction, yes. In my mind mature applies to
packages that have been stable for a long time and have not had any
significant work done on them. Something like gadfly, for example :)

> And on a second thought: is there a way to deprecate classifiers if
> they get obsolete?

No, they're there for liff :)

    Richard