[Distutils] Call for information - What assumptions can I make about Unix users' access to Windows?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Nov 7 17:52:02 CET 2014

Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> writes:

> To that end, I'd like to get an idea of what sort of access to Windows
> a typical Unix developer would have. […] Ideally, a clean Windows 7 or
> later virtual machine is the best environment, but I don't know if
> it's reasonable to assume that.

It's difficult to say what “a typical Unix developer” is. But a
significant use case is going to be “no legal access to any MS Windows
instance”.

The restrictions of the license terms make MS Windows an unacceptable
risk on any machine I'm responsible for. It has been many years since
I've even had a colleague who has a MS Windows instance, and I am not
sure where I'd go for one if the need arose.

If I was required to provide packages for MS Windows, the only viable
solutions would be those that don't involve me obtaining an MS Windows
instance myself.

--
 \              “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does |
  `\           knowledge.” —Charles Darwin, _The Descent of Man_, 1871 |