[Distutils] PEP440 "Local versions" idea in rpm/deb?

Marcus Smith qwcode at gmail.com
Fri May 2 22:33:27 CEST 2014

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> I’m pretty sure all the distros have some equivalent to it, often times
> with similar syntax.

e.g. look here
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Package_Versioning
yes there's a parallel to our post-releases, namely "Post-Releases", but I
don't see a concept for local patches of rpms.

to be clear to Daniel, I'm not asking how to package a "local version" of a
python package.  that's straightforward (I think) because that's all
contained in the "version" segment of the rpm.

e.g., I recently created an rpm for virtualenv-1.11.4, because centos6
didn't have it yet:  python-virtualenv-1.11.4-1.el6.noarch.rpm
what's the proper way to "localize" this to not conflict later when 1.11.4
is packaged?

again, sorry for the off-topic post, but I was *hoping* Nick (or someone)
would have the concept handy from the OS packaging world.