[Distutils] recommended setuptools version

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Mar 7 14:15:17 CET 2014

On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 02:02:59AM -0800, Benedek Zoltan wrote:
> I'm a bit confused with the setuptools versioning.
> When I install it by ez_setup.py it installs the 3.0.2 version, but on pypi the latest version is 2.2.
>
> Is there a difference between the two? Which is the recommended one?

3.0 was released last night, broke a bunch of popular software, and was
hurriedly pulled from PyPI.

The current version of ez_setup.py available at
https://bitbucket.org/pypa/setuptools/raw/bootstrap/ez_setup.py
also installs 2.2.

I suggest you stick with 2.2 until the dust settles.

Marius Gedminas
--
2B OR NOT 2B == FF