[Distutils] PyPI lost IPv6 support?

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue Jun 10 14:59:42 CEST 2014

On Jun 10, 2014, at 7:44 AM, Daniele Sluijters <daniele.sluijters at gmail.com> wrote:

> IPv6 (on AMS-IX) currently accounts for 20G/s of traffic at peak times
> compared to 2.8T/s overall. That said, the amount of traffic that IPv6
> generates has almost quadrupled since August last year. Stating that
> IPv6 is not on the PSF's list of priorities is, as far as I'm
> concerned, short sighted. It doesn't have to work tomorrow but it
> should be on the list of things to get to.
>
> PyPi not being available over IPv6 anymore is not "we're not willing
> to do extra work to enable it", it's a regression. I understand that
> this is not something the PSF can solve but it should at least push
> Fastly to roll out IPv6.

I'm pretty sure the thing is that there are many more important things that are
of a higher priority than IPv6 support. While IPv6 support is nice to have, it
also doesn't generally matter unless there is someone trying to connect to
PyPI who has no IPv4 connectivity. I don't believe it to be likely that there
is many, if any, people who do not have IPv4 connectivity else they'd be unable
to reach vast parts of the internet.

I'm sure at some point Fastly will have IPv6 connectivity, at which point there
won't be any major reason *not* to turn it on.

Donald Stufft