[Distutils] pypi suggestion

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 23:39:28 CEST 2014

----- Original Message -----

> Also, how does this measure optional dependencies?

I capture extras information where provided, but it all depends on what's declared in the metadata (via install_requires, setup_requires, test_requires). For example, html5lib doesn't declare any dependencies other than six, so that's all my code would know about.

> Interesting (not surprising, though) that pyyaml is so
> high, and that docopt is on there. Also notable that pil is in there.
> (Does your data distinguish pil and pillow? I understood the common
> view these days was to use pillow in place of pil).

The data hasn't been thoroughly validated - PyPI is a vast repository of information. While I've checked the sanity of my metadata for projects that I work on / use, it's too large a body of data to check everything, and it's certainly possible that there are a few bugs lurking in my metadata "scraping" code.

The code doesn't do anything clever like aliasing PIL/Pillow or distribute/setuptools - it's the bare dependencies as declared in zillions of setup.py files.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip