[Distutils] Other ideas from today's packaging meetup at EuroPython

Steve Dower Steve.Dower at microsoft.com
Sat Jul 26 15:49:38 CEST 2014

"Will that also allow me to put ‘macports’ or ‘homebrew’ in there you can create an Cython-0.20.1-cp27-none-lmacosx_x86_64-macports_10.10.whl distribution?"

Just how many wheels are people going to have to publish? Who has that many dev machines? Without a build farm, I can't see this being more helpful than frustrating (and the build farm is going to need a way to automatically get non-Python dependencies, which is not our business, so that's a long way off IMO).

An organisation building their own wheels in-house and configuring their machines to use an OS specific index/wheelhouse sounds like a much more feasible idea that works now and could do with more traction and encouragement. (Someone mentioned earlier that they do this - apologies for forgetting who.)

Cheers,
Steve

Top-posted from my Windows Phone