[Distutils] PyPI not rendering ReST long_description

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Mon Jul 14 09:30:59 CEST 2014

On 13 Jul 2014, at 18:04, Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net> wrote:

> I just uploaded a new pyramid_sqlalchemy package to PyPI. Looking at the distribution page at https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyramid_sqlalchemy PyPI is not rendering ReST. I can’t figure out why though: according to both “python setup.py check” and "python setup.py --long-description | rst2html-2.7.py > /dev/null” there are no ReST syntax errors in me description. Is there any way to see why PyPI is not rendering my ReST?

I ended up debugging this by manually bisecting the long description through the PyPI web-interface. The culprit turned out to be this bit:

	`Pyramid <docs.pylonsproject.org/projects/pyramid/en/latest/>`_

This is perfectly valid ReST, but I am guessing PyPI somehow forbids you from using URLs without a scheme.

Wichert.