[Distutils] zc.buildout & Docker container images

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Thu Jul 3 12:24:32 CEST 2014

On 30-06-14 17:56, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Yeah, it's the "you still need a way to define what goes into the image"
> part that intrigues me with respect to combining tools like zc.buildout
> with Docker.

Buildout, to me, solves all there is to solve regarding python packages
and a bit of configuration. Including calling bower to go grab the
necessary css/js :-)

That css/js is quite an important part of "what goes into the image".
Bower with it's dependency mechanism solves that (and it can be called
from buildout).

A third important one is system packages: "what do I apt-get install".

**Question/idea**: what about some mechanism to get this apt-get
information out of a python package? If a site or package absolutely
requires gdal or redis or memcache, it feels natural to me to have that
knowledge somewhere in the python package.

Does anyone do something like this? I was thinking along the lines of a
simple 'debian_dependencies.txt' that I could use as input for
ansible/fabric/fpm/whatever.

Looking for ideas :-)

Reinout

--