[Distutils] pip on windows experience

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 29 23:27:49 CET 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 2:04 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think the SSE issue is a bit of a side discussion: most people who care
> about performance already know how to install numpy. What we care about
> here are people who don't care so much about fast eigenvalue decomposition,
> but want to use e.g. pandas. Building numpy in a way that supports every
> architecture is both doable and acceptable IMO.

Exactly -- I'm pretty sure SSE2 is being suggested because that's the
lowest common denominator that we expect to see a lot of -- if their really
are a lot of non-SSE-2 machines out there we could leave that off, too.

> Building numpy wheels is not hard, we can do that fairly easily (I have
> already done so several times, the hard parts have nothing to do with wheel
> or even python, and are related to mingw issues on win 64 bits).

David,

Where is numpy as with building "out of the box" with the python.org binary
for Windows, and the "standard" MS compilers that are used with those
builds. That used to be an easy "python setup.py install" away -- has that
changed? If so, is this a known bug, or a known we-aren't-supporting-that?

i.e. it would be nice if anyone setup to build C extensions could "just
build numpy".

-Chris

Just to clarify: you actually can install numpy on windows with
python.orginstallers fairly easily by using easy_install already (we
upload a
> bdist_wininst compatible binary which should not use any CPU-specific
> instructions). It looks like those are missing for 1.8.0, but we can fix
> this fairly easily.

presumably just as easy to do a binary wheel then -- I vote for that.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov