[Distutils] PyPI Migrated to New Infrastructure with some Breakage

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sun Jan 26 01:18:12 CET 2014

On Jan 25, 2014, at 7:04 PM, Chris Jerdonek <chris.jerdonek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> Today (Sat Jan 25, 2014) the Infrastructure team has migrated PyPI to new
>> infrastructure.
>>
>> The old infrastructure was:
>>
>> - a single database server managed by OSUOSL
>> - a pair of load balancers shared by all of the python.org services hosted on
>>  OSUOSL
>> - a single backend VM that served as everything else for PyPI
>>
>> The VM that was acting as the backend server from PyPI was partially hand
>> configured and partially setup to be managed by chef. Additionally it had an
>> issue that caused it to kernel panic every so often which had been the cause of
>> a number of downtimes in the last few months. Because it was primarily
>> configured and administered by hand and because the way it was set up it was
>> not feasible to have any sort of failover or spare.
>>
>> The new infrastructure is:
>>
>> - 2 Web VMs
>> - 2 Database servers in Master/Slave Configuration
>> - 2 PgPool Servers pooling connections to the database servers and load
>>  balancing reads across them.
>> - 2 GlusterFS servers backed by Cloud Block Storage acting as the file storage
>>  for package and package docs
>> - 1 metrics server to handle updating the download counts as they come in from
>>  Fastly
>>
>> All of the VMs are hosted on Rackspace’s Public Cloud and have their
>> configuration completely controlled and managed using Salt. Going forward this
>
> Can you say a little about the choice to use Salt instead of Chef?  I
> don't really care either way, but am just curious.  Is it because Salt
> is written in Python, or were there other reasons (functionality,
> etc)?
>
> --Chris

I’d need to ask Ernest to be sure, but I believe it was mostly that he was more familiar
with it. The fact that it was written in Python was a bonus as well ;) I don’t think that
there was anything that Chef was missing or that Salt had over Chef, just familiarity
of the person who did most of the work. I’ll double check with Ernest to make sure there
wasn’t another reason :)

Donald Stufft