[Distutils] pip on windows experience

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 23 22:56:51 CET 2014

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 12:25 PM, Thomas Heller <theller at ctypes.org> wrote:

> Did I say this before?  I would suggest that numpy develops a way
> where all the SSE binary variations would be installed, and the
> appropriate ones be loaded at runtime, depending on the user's CPU
> capabilities.  This would also allow py2exe'd distributions to include
> them all.

That was discussed on the numpy list, and would be really nice, but it may
also be really difficult. OS-X has built-in support for
multi-architecture binaries, but Windows does not, and while selecting a
particular .dll (or .pyd) to load at run-time would be
fairly straightforward  numpy  has more than one, and then there is the
whole scipy stack, and all the third-party stuff compiled against it.

I suspect this wold have to be built-in to the python importing and
distutils build system to be workable. But maybe someone smarter than me
will figure it out.

Some feedback from the people who did try those wheels would help. I
>> asked for that on the numpy list after creating them, but didn't get
>> much. So I haven't been in a hurry to move them over to PyPi.

Serious chicken-egg problem there....

>  I would have tried wheels for windows, python 3.3 or 3.4, but there
> aren't any.

Yeah we need to get those up -- SSE2 only ones would work for MOST people.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov