[Distutils] Please do not remove dependency_links

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 16:08:39 CET 2014

On 17 Jan 2014 23:22, "Matthew Iversen" <teh.ivo at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/01/14 13:52, Hannes Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> I read through the "Removing dependency_links" thread [1] and I beg you
not follow through with the deprecation and removal of dependency_links and
to rethink your approach.

>> The mentioned thread indicates that research was done to gauge the
popularity of the dependency_links in publicly hosted Python projects. That
approach is fundamentally flawed: Publicly hosted projects are much more
likely to also be available on PyPI than private, closed-source projects.
Consequently, their dependencies are also more likely to be hosted on PyPI
as well. Because of that, they are much less likely to rely on the
dependency_links feature.

>> Another misconception seem to be that dependency_links is predominantly
used for installing patched or customized versions of dependencies hosted
on PyPI. I'm pretty sure the predominant use case for dependency_links is
with projects that are hosted privately, e.g. for an organization's
internal use. I represent such an organization and removing
dependency_links would impact us negatively. We host a set of internal
projects and their dependencies on Bitbucket and we rely on
dependency_links to install them directly from there.

>> I understand the motivation for this change – security – but there must
be smarter way to handle it. Could we fallback to dependency_links if a
PyPI lookup isn't successful? Could we restrict dependency_links to links
that share a prefix with the link from which the package is currently being
installed? A combination of the two?

https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2013-October/022937.html

>> --
>> Hannes Schmidt
>> Software Application Developer
>> Data Migration Engineer
>> Cancer Genomics Hub
>> University of California, Santa Cruz
>>
>> (206) 696-2316 (cell)
>> hannes at ucsc.edu

> Are you aware that you can also provide a solid infrastructure for a
"proprietary environment of packages" by hosting your own private pypi
mirror?

> There are quite a few projects that enable this, such as
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pypiserver
>
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/mypypi
>
> https://github.com/steiza/simplepypi
>
> http://djangopypi2.readthedocs.org/en/latest/
>
> You can use the -i flag, or a .pypirc config file to tell pip to look at
your own private index instead of the official one; or direct it to use the
official pypi only after looking at your private pypi.

> You can also host a network-available folder of wheels for pip to find,
or simply a http accessible folder of packages as Donald suggested.

Private PyPI mirrors and internal hosting options would be a suitable
advanced topic for the PUG. I don't recall whether or not Marcus already
added a placeholder for it, though.

Cheers,
Nick.